Got pregnant after tubal ligation but miscarried, have heart-shaped uterus. What is going on?

Hi! With my fourth c-section on Aug. 1, 2011 I had my tubes tied, cut and burned. Three mon.s later I was pregnant again. Amazingly the baby was safely in my uterus. No ectopic pregnancy. I heard the baby's heartbeat at 7 wk.s 6 days.On my 13th week I started spotting, and ended up loosing our precious baby. They (doc.s) said the heartbeat stopped at 9 wk.s. Plus, I have a heart shaped uterus. Can you please explain what's going on? How could I even get pregnant with tubes tied, cut, and burned to begin with? Is it possible to have a third tube? What do I do from here on out? This emtional rollercoaster is getting me down. Could someone explain whats happening to me?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Tubal ligation, regardless of whether the tubes are cut, burned, clipped, banded, or tied, is about 99 percent effective, meaning that about 1 percent of women will conceive an unplanned pregnancy after tubal ligation. There is no third fallopian tube but the ligation you had has failed and now you need to get your tubes ligated again.
A heart shaped uterus is a mild form of septate or bicornuate uterus and does not usually affect the pregnancy outcome. The miscarriage that you had could have happened due to many reasons like infection, chromosomal defects, immunological disorders, hormonal problems, etc.
The exact cause can be determined after a proper examination and blood tests after consulting your gynecologist.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.