Got hit on head. Big lump appeared. No dizziness or memory loss. Worried for concussion

General Surgeon
My 5 year old boy hit his head pretty hard on the leg of a chair. A big lump formed immediately. He seemed fine, no dizziness, memory loss or confusion. Pupils were the same size and reacted normally to changes in light. The next morning he complained about a stomach ache, but he went to school anyway. The school called me at 10am because he had vomited. I picked him up and let him rest all that day. He vomited and had diarrhea all day. The next day he did not vomit, but complained of nausea. He did't eat anything until dinner time, when he had some toast. We had him drinking Gatorade throughout the day. Yesterday was the same; no vomiting, but still not eating well and not feeling well. I was thinking that he had the flu, which is going around. But he does not not have a fever. This morning he said he had "a really bad headache". I gave him some cold Coke, which always helps me with a headache. He said the headache went away. Should I be worried about a concussion or brain bleed?
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 15 minutes later

As per your query, a big lump was formed after head injury.It is Haematoma, collection of blood. It subsides spontaneously in course of time.

Because of the food/water, he might have developed Gastroenteritis.Diarrhoea is rare in head injuries. Due to an electrolyte imbalance, he may not be feeling well. Give him Oral Rehydration Solution which contains Glucose and electrolytes like Sodium, Potassium.

Because of empty stomach, he might have complained headache. As you gave him Diet coke,it got relieved. As he is Conscious, coherent, no bleeding through Ear, nose and throat , and normal pupillary reactions, major head injury is ruled out.

He has to be observed.

If there is any change in Conscious levels or bleeding through ear, nose and throat, you should get a CT scan brain which rules out head injury.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any doubts, I will clarify further.
Wish him good health