Got head injury. Bump appeared on forehead, have black eye. How long it takes to cure?

General Surgeon
I fell x 4 days ago, hit my head have black eyes (severe), a spongy bump on top of forehead into hairline on left side. No visual disturbance, no HA, dizziness, or cognitive loss. I'm just concerned about the spongy bump. I've been using ice and heat intermittantly. I'm wondering how long it might for the black eyes to resolve and the spongy lump to dissipate.
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

The spongy bump can be soft tissues swelling or blood collection. If it is just a swelling, it should go away in a week or so. If it is a blood collection, it may take weeks for it to go away.
Black eyes are caused by blood accumulation in the soft tissues (so called bruises). Such bruises can be there for quite long time and it can take even 2-3 weeks to disappear. Moreover, during the healing process it can change colors to yellow and green.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Got head injury. Bump appeared on forehead, have black eye. How long it takes to cure? 21 minutes later
Sorry to bother you again, but if there is a subdural problem, what kind of symptoms should I look for and for how long? Is there anything i can do besides the heat and ice?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later
You should be aware of strange headaches (different than the soft tissues trauma pain), dizziness, nausea, vomiting, sleepiness, uneven pupils, increased heart rate. If any of this symptoms will appear, head CT should be done to rule bleeding out. Sometimes such bleeding symptoms can appear even 2 weeks after the trauma, but mostly it appears a day or few days after injury.
You may try heparine cream (however its effectiveness is arguable). Nothing more can be done.