Got cold, chest congestion and have breathing difficulty. What is the solution?

ENT Specialist
blocked chest, can't breathehi
I got cold and chest congestion 2 days ago and it was pretty mild on the first night. the second day and night were tough with congested chest and blocked nose. last night was probably the worse with wheezing, blocked nose, difficulty breathing due to the congestion and cough which spits out a slightly yellow mucus (mostly clear). I found that robitussin (cold and chesty congestion) probably helps in the long run but I feel restless and find it even harder to breathe. as a result I feel like my heart rate goes up. find it hard to sleep and sit and have to either sit/sleep straight or walk around to catch up on my breathe. I also used some flu tablets but when I got mild fever I used paracetamol( twice a day) for 1 day yesterday. I am not sure what I should do because the symptoms are so mixed. I am still wheezing, have to cough to clear up the muck and spit to breathe normally for a few minutes after which it starts all over again. please help. just for additional information I am also very allergic and hay feverish, and although my nose blocks during hay fever as well this is different as my throat is not itchy. it is blocked and wheezing making it hard to breathe both through the nose and mouth.
please help
Posted Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 39 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. In addition to Robitussin Cold and Chest Congestion, a course of anti-allergics, mucolytics, steam inhalation and medicated gargles. Antibiotics, anti-inflammatory agents may be added if the pain is severe or there is fever. Bronchodilators my help if the wheeze is severe.

2. Get your self examined, preferably with Chest X-rays and a chest auscultation.

3. You have not mentioned your age. Cloudy and occasionally yellow mucus from the sinuses means an allergy or mild infection.

4. For your nasal congestion you may use a short course of xylometazoline nasal drops or a spray such as Otrivin.

5. Get your routine blood tests done. I must emphasize that you should take treatment only under medical supervision.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.