Got Copper T inserted. Getting low libido, extreme dryness and itchiness with heavy bleeding. Any idea?

I recently got Copper T inserted (Nov 10 2012). Since then I am having excessing bleeding during periods (1 pad per 2 hours or lesser) every month. My periods lasts for almost 10-11 days now instead of 4-5 days. Last month, I even had to take "Pause" to get the bleeding to stop. I heard this was expected.

However, what is troubling me is that in the middle of the cycle I am having some other symptoms - low libido, extreme dryness and itchiness. There is no white discharge with itchiness. This itchiness increases after sexual contact. There is no lubrication during sexual contact also. Is this also a side effect of copper T? Will this last for long? Is there a medicine for this itchiness and for lubrication?

Posted Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 21 hours later
Hello, since it has been >20 hours since you asked your question, I will go ahead and try to help you with an answer. Thank you for your patience.

First of all, while the copper IUD might be associated with some extra bleeding or spotting, the bleeding you are describing exceeds normal expectations. The fact that it is leading to such extreme prolongation of your bleeding would suggest one of two possibilities:
1. It is in an improper location or not positioned properly within the uterus
2. There is something anatomically different about your uterus OR there is something within the uterus like a polyp or a fibroid
This is best evaluated with an ultrasound of the uterus with the IUD in place to assess its location and the surrounding lining

With regard to the other complaints of vaginal itching, dryness, and decreased libido - these are not typical side effects of the copper IUD which has NO hormones associated with it. The most common explanation is a coincidental infection such as a yeast infection (which can involve itching without a noticeable discharge) or BV (bacterial vaginosis) which is usually associated with a discharge and odor, and can be more noticeable after intercourse.

The decreased libido is a separate issue that is not associated with the copper IUD and may be exacerbated by the extreme bleeding (which might lead to anemia, fatigue, and the symptoms of decreased libido). Here is what I would recommend:
1. Call your doctor for an appointment
2. Ask for an ultrasound of the uterus
3. Ask for a vaginal exam and cultures to rule out infection
4. Always bring up the possibility of pregnancy and have a test done

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have additional followup questions.