Getting neck pain, no headache or light sensitivity. X-ray showed symptoms of spondylosis. Proper diagnosis?

most articles realating to osteoarthritis neck pain, give details of numbness radiating into the arm. But mine is "stuck" radiates up the neck into the base of my skull, (left side only, have no problem on the right) aches behind my left ear. pain all on the left side. May be occipital neuralgia, but I am not sensitive to light, and have no pain behind my eyes., and have no headaches. X-Ray shows sign of spondilosis (most people my age 60 have a bit of it with no symptoms). Have had accupuncture, accupressure , physio but nothing works, Pain killers NSAID's work for a while, anything stronger turns me into a zombie. Haven't had an MRI scan. Do I need one, and is there any other possible diagnosis. Am doing own research as local GP doctor has been on no help.
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

The symptoms and x-ray findings are suggestive of cervical spondolysis. Cervical spondolysis is due to the age-related degeneration ('wear & tear') of the vertebrae and discs in the neck region. This can cause compression of the nerves and hence pain and dizziness.

Apply warm compresses on the area and take some over the counter anti-inflammatory pain killer like Iburpofen after consulting your doctor. Application of topical muscle relaxants will also help. Cervical spondolysis also responds to anti-inflammatory drugs and cervical collars and traction.

It is also better if you correct any posture imbalances that you may have, whether in a sitting posture or in a standing posture like you should avoid sitting on computers for long. It is also very important to make sure that the pillow you use under your head is the correct size and thickness for your body. Make adjustments in your diet and add lots of calcium XXXXXXX foods like curd, milk etc in your diet.

If the symptoms still persist then you may need a MRI head and neck and if cervical spondolysis is confirmed then steroid injections or surgical approach (as last approach)may be needed.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.