Getting nausea, chest tightness and burning throat after exposure to paint fumes. Worried for cancer

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I just painted my kitchen counters with a VERY strong paint and the fumes are very strong I was in there for three hours before I was done and could leave the room. My chest got tight and my throat was burning but it has ended now that I am outside but I am very nauseous. I am concerned about how long I was in there with the fumes since I didn't have mask. I have read where paint fumes can cause cancer??
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.
It seems like this was acute exposure to paint fumes and your symptoms are obviously caused by this. This is commonly found in paint workers as well as in many other who are exposed to industrial fumes and poisons. If your symptoms subsided you dont have to worry,but if you start experience headache, dizziness or breathing difficulties again ,you should visit doctors.
This is right about cancer, but as I this was just acute, short exposure. It is known that chronic exposure for 10 and more years in workers increases the risk of some cancers,especailly bladder and kindey. But short exposure as in your case wontcause anything serious. YOu just might feel a bit nauseous so lay down and dont eat next few hours till it pass. It is always recommended to use mask in closed room where paining is done and widely open windows.
WIsh you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.