Getting muscle ache from sciatica. Knee hurts. Tried massages. Have trouble sleeping. Prescribed Zopiclone

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hello im 46 years old and for the past 6 months ive been getting muscle aches mostly starting from my sciatica down my leg into my foot which hurts most days and at the end of the day its quite painfull now if I have to get down on the floor I cant lean on my knee it seems to be getting worse I have 5 kids the three older are adults but I also have two under 5 so im on my feet all day looking after them..ive tried massages...vitamin d valerian..also I have trouble sleeping and wake a lot in the night and don't feel like ive gone into a deep sleep im prescribed zopiclone
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be due to muscle stiffness.

Detailed Answer:
It seems your hectic schedule is taking a toll on your back and leg causing the muscle pain and stiffness. You must have already known that by now. First you need to assess the severity of the situation. This mechanical back pain is caused due to bad posture, long work-hours in particular position, lack of proper sleep or healthy diet as well.

I suggest you to try muscle strengthening exercises which can be taught by your Orthopedician or Physiotherapist. This will help to relieve the possible muscle spasm which causes the tightness. One must also rule out inflammatory disorders, for which I recommend you to get a X-ray after consulting with an Orthopedician. MRI can be taken in case you have any nerve compression symptoms or as deemed necessary by your Orthopedician.

After a thorough physical examination by your Orthopedician, you may be prescribed pain killers and/or muscle relaxants which should give you relief.
Eat a diet XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables, nuts, milk, eggs, pulses and cereals. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Getting muscle ache from sciatica. Knee hurts. Tried massages. Have trouble sleeping. Prescribed Zopiclone 12 minutes later
thank you for your reply..i have tried excercising at the gym but this makes my sciatic muscles worse I also do stretching I have started getting arthritis in my fingers but my leg and foot seems to be different I do try to get some sleep but I seem to be building resistance towards the zopiclone which makes them ineffective I take half each night but my doctor recommends every second day please advise
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Changing the anti anxiety drug might help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
You need muscle relaxants first and then start with the stretching exercises. Resistance against Zopiclone is common. It is best to get another anti anxiety drug prescribed from your physician with a low day time sedation. Do indulge in some mind and body relaxation exercises like yoga to reduce the anxiety. Taking melatonin supplements will also be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.