Getting lightheaded during weight lifting. What is the underlying cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am constantly getting light headed in the gym during weight lifting. It usually occurs 30 minutes into my workout. I do eat before going to the gym, and I am drinking plenty of water to rule out dehydration. I have not passed out or fainted due to this because I always stop my workout and leave when the symptoms begin.
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 45 minutes later

Thanks for writing in,

Lightheadedness in your case seems to be due to hyperventilation while working out. You should learn to control breathing by Yoga or some other measures. Proper breathing exercises will increase your respiratory capacity and maintain adequate oxygen supply to our body. Relax between sessions. If the symptoms occurs, you can stop your workouts for a while, say 10-15 min, then try to resume.

Hope i have answered your query,
Follow-up: Getting lightheaded during weight lifting. What is the underlying cause? 8 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. I have considered this as a possible cause, however these symptoms have only occurred in the last year. Before the symptoms started I was always able to complete my workout with none of these symptoms. I do try to focus on my breathing during my lifting and exercise. I also notice these symptoms more if I work out later in the day rather than first thing in the morning.
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 14 minutes later
Try to improve your stamina and endurance by doing some cardio or aerobic exercises. It is advisable to do all such exercises under properly trained fitness staff. If you have any associated neck pain or black-outs or vertigo or loss of weight/ appetite, then we need to investigate.