Getting brown discharge. USG showed evidence of 1.2 x 0.8 cm sub chorionic clot. Worrisome

Question
I am getting brown discharge from October 3, 2012. I am worried

My LMP is 21/08/2012
USG shows the following results:-
1. Bulky uterus shows small for dates single gestational sac in the endometrial cavity.
2. Well defined yolk sac is not seen within it.
3. Foetal pole is not seen.
4. Gestational Sac measures 7 mm, corresponds to 4 weeks and 5 days.
5. Placenta is global in position.
6. There is evidence of 1.2 x 0.8 cm sub chorionic clot. Desidual reaction is normal.
7. Cervix measures 4 cm.
8. XXXXXXX O.S. is closed
9. E.D.D. is 31/5/2013

IMPRESSION : There is evidence of 1.2 x 0.8 cm sub chorionic clot
F/S/O EARLY PREGNANCY OF 4 WEEKS 5 DAYS.
ADV : F.U. AFTER 10 DAYS TO SEE FETAL CARDIAC ACTIVITY.
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 13 minutes later
Hello

Welcome and thanks for writing to us

This type of bleeding in early pregnancy is called threatened abortion.
You have to wait for 15 days to see the cardiac activity on ultrasound.
Till then strict bed rest is required.If you want to confirm then get beta Hcg levels done and repeat them after 72 hrs , if the are decreasing means it is a case of missed abortion and if increasing means it is going to show positive results on scan.
Since you are already taking susten and pause , you can add inj HCG 5000 IU bi-weekly under your doctor's guidance and prescription.Do not forget to take folic acid supplements.I hope you have got your other investigations done like thyroid profile , torch test etc.
Best wishes and take care
Good luck

Follow-up: Getting brown discharge. USG showed evidence of 1.2 x 0.8 cm sub chorionic clot. Worrisome 8 days later
2nd USG was taken after 10 days which shows the following results-

Bulky uterus shows small for dates single gestational sac in the endometrial cavity.
Well defined yolk sac is seen within it.
Foetal pole is not seen.
Foetal cardiac activity is absent.
Foetal movements are not present.
LMP 21/08/2012
Gestational Sac measures 1.1 cm, corresponds to 6 weeks and 1 days
Placenta is global in position.
There is evidence of 1.6x1.5 cm sub chorionic clot seen....
Cervix measures 4 cm
Internal OS is closed.

Whether the pregnancy is viable and should I wait for some more time though my doctor advised for D & C?

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later
Hello
Welcome once again
As it is almost 8 weeks and there is no cardiac activity with subchorionic collection so it seems to be a case of missed abortion and you should go for D&C as advised by your doctor.To reconfirm you can get HCG levels done as advised in previous answer.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Getting brown discharge. USG showed evidence of 1.2 x 0.8 cm sub chorionic clot. Worrisome 1 hour later
My HCG observed Value is 0000.0

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 16 hours later
Hello and welcome once again
The level you have mentioned is quite good for your gestational period. Normal levels at 7-8 weeks are between 7,600 to 230,000 mIU per ml.They should get doubled up within 72 hrs if the pregnancy is continuing.I think you can wait for a week to observe these values provided there is no bleeding.If bleeding occurs in between then you should contact your doctor.Next scan will clear the picture.

Best wishes