Gardenerella vaginalis infection. Is there availability of any over the counter medication for treatment?

Infertility Specialist
Hi, is there any drugs/ointments available out-of-counter to treat gardinela vaginal infection?
Thank you
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 5 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
I am afraid there are no over the counter medications available to treat Gardenerella vaginalis infections.
However, it is very much curable and I would suggest the following:

1) Take regular warm bath and keep the genital area clean.

2) Metronidazole is an effective antibiotic used to treat Gardnerella vaginalis. Clindamycin is an alternative medicine which is also available in suppository form. But these medications require a prescription from your doctor. Hence please consult your general physician who can examine you and prescribe the appropriate medications.
I hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer any follow-up queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol.