Frequent periods, pain in abdomen. What could be the cause?

Hi wanted to know the cause of 3 periods in one month , abdominal lower pain and feeling slightly sick. I also have slight temperature. The bleeding has stopped but I still get the slight pains at least once a day. lower abdominal only, and general angry noises from my stomach. Sometimes I feel it is difficult to go to the toilet like a pause then I can go, like an infection but its not because I am not in a relationship since October, this happened last month.
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Frequent periods (more than normal) or an intermenstrual bleed (bleeding between cycles) can be caused due to various reasons. Let me list the most common causes out for you:
-Stress (causes release of a hormone called cortisol which influences hormones that are responsible for regulating a period)
-Hormonal imbalances
-Peri-menopause (nearing menopause, as is your age; irregular bleeding is commonly seen, but you will have to still be supervised by a doctor)
-Medications (eg. hormonal supplements, birth control pills, blood thinning medications, etc.)
-Intrauterine devices (contraceptive devices inserted can irritate the endometrium earlier than usual)
-Sexually transmitted infections/diseases
-Fibroids or uterine polyps (abnormal growths)
-Thyroid abnormalities
-Conditions like polycystic ovarian disease/syndrome that also result in a hormonal imbalance, that can cause irregular bleeding

These are some of the most common causes of frequent bleeding, that you are experiencing. I would request you to kindly visit your gynecologist for a thorough evaluation and accordingly treatment of your condition. Also, please get screened for all sexually transmitted diseases although you are currently sexually inactive.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, and I would be happy to help you.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Frequent periods, pain in abdomen. What could be the cause? 3 hours later
thorough answer. I wanted a second opinion because I had tablets to stop the bleeding. But nothing else and was told it could be pre-menopause. The thing is I still have these pains and am worried because my father had cancer and I am a widow myself so have not slept around. Yet it feels like I have difficulty in going to the toilet like I have to push a little to wee dosnt sting but feels different. But have not been told what the stomach pain are or if they are natural cause.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 21 minutes later
Hello once again.

Thank you for appreciating my answer, I am happy I could help.

I understand you are worried about a more serious condition due to the family history you have provided, but do not worry. There are numerous ways of screening and ensuring your health status. Although you have not mentioned the type of cancer (location and type) that your father was diagnosed with, I am assuming it was in the abdomen and pelvic region. A simple ultrasound scan of the abdomen and pelvis will certainly be able to pick up any abnormalities. But, an ultrasound can at times, miss a few structures, these can thoroughly be visualized through a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis.

If there are/is any abnormality present in this region, it can be visualized and even diagnosed with a CT scan. You could request for this, for your satisfaction.

Now coming to your complaints, the difficulty in urinating is usually seen in all the conditions listed in my previous response, and this could purely be a urinary infection/problem; completely unrelated to cancer.

Pre-menopause is a troubling time, both physically and emotionally. It can present in different ways in different women. These pains are sometimes completely normal and related to menopause. But, before we draw such a conclusion, we will have to rule out all other causes of this abdominal pain. If even after these investigations, no cause is found, it should indeed be due to peri-menopause; and will subside gradually.

Please go ahead with the ultrasound examination first (as it is more cost-effective), and only if you require complete satisfaction, you could go about a CT scan as well.

Do not worry, a family history of cancer does not mean you have to inherit it, you could go on to live a completely healthy cancer-free life.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. I would be happy to help you clear any more doubts. You can close this discussion and rate my answers when you are satisfied with the response.

Wishing you the best.