Fracture on the wrist due to injury. Fixed K-wire. What is the recovery period after the removal of K-wire?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello Sir,

I XXXXXXX and got injured in an accident 4 weeks back.My right hand wrist airline fracture - AplCt was happened.They fixed the K wire immediately and told to have dressing every week for 6 weeks and after 6th week they are going to remove the POP.But after 7th week they are going to remove K wire.

What will be the situation after removing K wire? How many days it will take to recover after that? Please let me know how many days it will take time to lift the normal weights using my right hand?

Finally is the the reght treatment they are doing for ne or not. Please suggest.

Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 hours later
After removal of cast and K- wire, usually there is some stiffness and restricted movement of the wrist joint. Gradual exercise and physiotherapy will help in restoration of activities over 4-6 weeks time. It depends on the site, nature and severity of the injury.
Regarding the treatment that has been given, it can be evaluated only after a physical examination and seeing the reports of X-ray and other investigations.
Please do not worry. You will be fine soon.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.