Fizzy arms, numb face, difficult to speak. BP high, prescribed with pro-pranolol . Had pre-eclampsia. Reason?

I'm 34 years old, mother to 4. Lost one baby, all c-sections. After the birth ofr my 4th child (1st daughter) I had an episdoe as they called it in hospital. They thought it was pre-eclampsia. BP very high.pins and needles, confusion, unabel to get my words out. They put this down to migraine.
now I get this on a few occasions, I get pins and needles in my arms, face goes numb so does my tongue, I find it difficult to speak. My BP at the time of these episodes is 160/110. Are these migraines I am getting? At the time I had my daughter, I had a CT scan, MRI and heart scan which all came back normal.
Right now as I sit here writing, I feel faint, have fuzzy feeling in my right arm. What is wrong with me?
I was prescribed pro -pranolol for my BP but have not taken them as yet.
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Its very important for a formal diagnosis of hypertension to be made, for you to be put on treatment and managed as such. This might require you visit the health facility 2 to 3 times, get a rest for at least 5 minutes, and get your blood pressure readings taken with an appropriate machine. Elevated values should lead to formal diagnosis and carrying out of other tests, life style modifications, medication and monitoring.

There are specific sub types of migraines that could present with the focal symptoms (paralysis, tingling, pins , needles etc), but other mores serious conditions must be considered and excluded first. A sub type of stroke, called a transient ischemic attack must be ruled out. Past family history of heart disease is of utmost importance. Usually, a CT scan in this case might be normal. Evaluation of other risk factors such as cholesterol levels, smoking habits, weight, life style could be useful.
Other primary or secondary headaches have to be well evaluated by your neurologist. A cardiac ultrasound added to a systematic neurologic examination is highly needed.

I suggest first you consult a neurologist, and then a cardiologist (based) on the neurological findings.

Thanks and hope this helps. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.