Felodipine, Hydrochlorothiazide, Lisinopril. Safe to take in combination with Viagra or Cialis ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
do Felodipine, Hydrochlorothiazide and Lisinopril contain nitrates? Need to know if safe in conjunction with taking either Viagra or Cialis or Levitra
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 32 minutes later
Hi

Since you are suffering from hypertension you need to understand that both diet modification and exercise is a must in order to control blood pressure.

The drugs Felodipine, Hydrochlorothiazide and Lisinopril do not contain nitrates. The drugs Viagra, Cialis or Levitra are known to increase erection in those with erectile dysfunction due to action on Nitric oxide and thus relaxing the blood vessels in the penis.

This class of drugs can cause low blood pressure or hypotension especially when taken in patient's who are already receiving treatment for hypertension. So you need to be careful in this regard. Do not get up immediately after lying down or sitting. Rather wait for 2-3 minutes in sitting position, push your feet up and down like you do on a gas pedal 4-5 times and then slowly stand up. This will help to reduce the effect of low blood pressure.

Also do take the help of a caregiver while moving around to prevent accidents due to possible dizziness while standing.

Another word of caution is to get your kidney function tests done because Viagra and the other drugs are excreted by kidneys including Lyrica. So if kidney function is not adequate there may be toxicity of drug action.

Eat healthy. Avoid salt in diet. Avoid high calorie, fatty, fried food. Eat more fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink enough water. Exercise daily. Get 6-8 hours of sleep. Keep your blood pressure under constant monitoring and in control.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Felodipine, Hydrochlorothiazide, Lisinopril. Safe to take in combination with Viagra or Cialis ? 22 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX
thank you for the prompt an clarifiying response.
Forgot to mention though the other three types of medication I take.
Acetaminophen 325 Mg 1X; Omeprazole 20 MG 1X and Lyrica 75 MG 2X. Do they contain Nitrates and/or will they cause negative reactions if I take once in a while, either a Viagra, Cialis or Levitra tablet/pill or strip?

In your reply you mentioned that I must take precaution (in getting up/standing up) if I take either one of these three erectile dysfunction type medication. For how long does this apply (a day, several days, a week, a month) after I have taken one of these? And must I have a kidney function test after each time I used one of this medication (lets assume, the usuage would be 3-4 times a month)?
Thank you,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 9 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.

None of the medicines you mentioned have Nitrates so not to worry.

The side effect of using drugs for erectile dysfunction when combined with anti-hypertensive drugs may cause orthostatic hypotension where blood pressure can reduce when standing up. Also symptoms like giddiness, palpitation, weakness may occur.

This phenomenon can occur but quite rare in combination of above drugs but is always noteworthy so as not to surprise you later.

It may occur at most days of the week but rare if you take above mentioned precautions.

Kidney function test is required before you take the medicine for erectile dysfunction because the drugs are excreted by kidney so kidney status should be good before starting the drugs.

Drink enough water to avoid symptoms of orthostatic hypotension and ensure good kidney function.