Fell hard on granite. Having headache and insomnia. Should I see a doctor?

I'm 82 Fell very hard on granite about 3 weeks ago but head did not hit directly..but a strong jolt Now have insomnia, some minor a.m. headaches, forget names of people I know. Should I go to Urgent care. About 4+ hrs sleep since Sun. a,m.
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Prasad 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can visit a neurologist instead...

Detailed Answer:

Very rarely do we see patients with head injuries worsening after 2 weeks. Moreover a serious head injury is associated with severe headache, loss of consciousness, nausea and vomiting. Fortunately you did not develop those ominous symptoms.

Minor headache, insomnia and memory loss is most likely related to concussion. And post concussion symptoms can last for 4-6 weeks and gradually wean away.

Therefore you can wait and observe for couple of weeks more. If the symptoms persists, you can fix an appointment with a neurologist for evaluation. In the mean while, I would start you on vitamin B12 supplements - a pill a day. You can use tylenol whenever headache is most severe.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification.