Fell down on face. Started vomiting and having headache. What cure should I take?

my grandson fell off couch on his face. definatly has concussion, didn't remembe what happened, kept asking why he had swimming trunks on, just sat up an vomit in bed, now he has a bad headache. should i give him something? i didnt know i had to wait 24..plz answer now!
Posted Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Prasad 41 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. I understand your apprehension and I shall try and provide me with useful information pertaining to your query.

Concussion is the mildest form of head injury. The symptoms of transient loss of memory, headache and vomit are suggestive of concussion; however whether or not he has something more than concussion can only be determined by computed tomography (CT) scan.

Being associated with department of neurology for many years, I would ideally get a scan done on your grandson since he has a bad headache and vomited once.

You may give him ibuprofen syrup in the dose of 10mg/kg body weight (for example if his weight is 20kg or 44lbs, the dose needed would be 200mg) for the bad headache and then plan to visit the nearest ER for a CT scan.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have further inquiries.