Feels like increase in pulse rate and slight stomach disturbance. History of hyperthyroid. What to do?

My mother is 67 years old. For last two months, she has been having sinking heart feeling. It lasts for about 15-30 minutes with increase in pulse rate and slight stomach disturbance. Body temperature seems to have increased during such times but thermometer shows just about 97.5 degree F.
We have done almost all heart tests, thyroid and complete health check up and have consulted gestroentrologist but no illness is diagnosed. This does not happen daily but once in 2-3 days and always in the evening or at bedtime. She has history of being hyperthyroid but the thyroid level is normal now for last 2-3 years. Please guide me.
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

From your description and normal investigations report we should strongly suspect presence of anxiety and panic disorder.
History of thyroid hormone also increases chances of developing anxiety disorder. Anxiety frequently lead to stomach disturbance like student used to get stomach disturbance before exam due to stress.

Other symptoms of anxiety which may or may not be present in your case: nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, palpitation and dry mouth.

Anxiety occur due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter. She may need treatment with psychiatrist to treat her anxiety. It is not clear if she received any treatment in past for anxiety and panic disorder, but believe me people life changes after treatment.

In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect. Non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) also takes weeks to show its effect.

All these process is complex. I have just simplified it to make you understand it.

With above advice following simple measures will also help her:
-Decrease worrying about symptoms as they will cure after treatment.
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet.
-Daily morning walk and breathing exercise.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Feels like increase in pulse rate and slight stomach disturbance. History of hyperthyroid. What to do? 9 hours later
Dear Dr Mittal,

Thanks for your advise.

She has not had any symptoms in the past and has not undergone any treatment for anxiety in the past. Will try this.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

Wishing her good health.