Feeling sore throat, cough, hoarse voice, low grade fever and general malaise. What is the problem and cure?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question
starting wed/thurs of last week, sore throat, cough, congestion (yellowish), hoarse voice, pink eye, low grade fever, general malaise. When should I be feeling better? How do I know I don't have sinus infection or bronchitis? Taking mucinex, Tylenol or Ibuprofen and up my fluid intake, don't know what decongestant to use if any because they make me jittery. Anyway, concerns are I'm taking care of 84 year mother and hoping she won't get it. Want to taste, smell and talk again. Thanks.
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 15 minutes later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Based on the symptoms I think you are suffering from non specific upper viruses and self limiting, lasting for 7 to 10 days. I advice you salt water gargling 5 to 6 times a day and steam inhalation. Increase the fluid intake, use over the counter expectorants and can take antipyretics like paracetamol for fever.

It is better to cover your face or mask when you’re with your mother to prevent her getting this. I advice you to follow this approach you should be fine.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope I have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Follow-up: Feeling sore throat, cough, hoarse voice, low grade fever and general malaise. What is the problem and cure? 4 days later
Thanks for your response. It's been around 10 days now since this virus started. Here's an update of my current condition. I saw my doctor. My lungs are clear as of Wed. My pink eye seems gone as of a couple of days ago. I don't seem to run any fever over 99 as of Wed. I still have nasal congestion with yellow/clear mucus. I still cannot taste or smell anything and I get occasional sinus type headaches. My cough is somewhat the same sometimes it seems a little looser. But I still don't seem to be coughing up anything significant. My voice comes and goes depending on my cough. The cough always seems worse at night (dry/hacking). I'm allergic to codeine so I was given Tessalon Pearles (sp?). My sleep is broken but I force myself to go back to sleep between coughing bouts. I hate to go out because once I go into my coughing fits, it's embarrassing but I bring my cough syrup with me and water wherever I go. Plus I sound sick with my hoarse voice and no one can understand me.
My doc recommended that I continue with the DM otc cough syrup, plus a homeopathic cough syrup called Chestal. Decongestants make my heart race so I don't really take those. She doesn't think I have anything bacterial going on like a sinus infection but I'm to contact her if my cough worsens (not sure what that means since it remains almost the same) or if my fever goes above 101).

I'm just wondering why it's taking me so long to start feeling better? Do you recommend a certain approach to taking my medicine (like 1) gargle with salt; 2) take cough DM; 3) take cough (Chestal); 4) fluids and 5) steam/rest every four hours? Anything else? I need to go back to work on Monday. I've been off for an entire week. Thanks again for time and your help.

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 10 hours later

Viral illness usually clears by 7 to 10 days sometime it may extend with minimal symptoms as in your case. I advise you to continue the treatment given by the consulting doctor. It will be better if you do steam inhalation 3 to 4 times a day it will help, use Karvol plus nasocaps in the water.

I returned to my doc on Monday and was finally given an antibiotic (azithromycin) and started feeling relief (at least with regards to congestion) within 48 hours. My cough persists however and is kind of wet and worse at night. If anything comes up it is clear but I am sore especially on the right side under my right breast probably from all my coughing. Throughout this illness, I cough and gag at least once a day, vomiting up whatever I just ate while I cough and gag. Sometimes I'm talking on the phone and I have to cut it short because I'll start coughing/gagging or I'm reluctant to go out for fear it will happen while I'm in line at the grocery store. I no longer have a low grade fever. In addition to my cough syrup DM, steaming and increase fluids, I was also given an inhaler. It's the first time I've had one. All I know is that I cannot use it past 5 p.m. or the side effects keep my up all night. I nap during the day and if I didn't force myself to get up, I would nap most of the day. It's been more than 14 days since I started this illness. I have already missed 2 weeks of work. Can you recommend any next steps? Should I request a chest x-ray? Labs? Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 30 hours later

Good to hear from you, I apologize for the delayed response.

Super added bacterial infections are common with respiratory infections. It was good that you were started on antibiotic.

Though absence of fever is good sign, presence of wet cough still bothers me. In this instant, I recommend that you see your consulting physician for thorough respiratory examination. Complete blood count, ESR and chest - XXXXXXX are entailed if lungs do not sound clear on respiratory examination.

Pain in the chest can be due to coughing and will reduce as the cough reduces.

Hope I have provided the information you needed.

Wish you a speedy recovery...