Feeling some growth on lower abdomen. There is no pain. What could it be?

Question
i am laying down face up, i am touching my left side lower abdomen and i feel like growth 3 balls it does not hurt but definatley some type of growth what is it. no pain and there i nothing on my right side. I feel well no ailments and there is about three kind of gathered together. There are mobile I think
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 5 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

I just want to say that given your lack of feeling ill and no pain, this is of low concern. That being said, this might represent:

1. Normal stool in the colon on the left side
2. An enlargement of the left ovary
3. An enlargement of the uterus

These are all just guesses, #1 being the most likely. I would recommend calling your OB/GYN on Monday morning to be examined and see if they can feel the same thing. If it goes away with observation and bowel movements then I think you have your answer!

It has been a pleasure to help you. If you have more questions, please ask. If you are satisfied with my answer, please ACCEPT the answer and provide feedback. Good luck!

Follow-up: Feeling some growth on lower abdomen. There is no pain. What could it be? 4 minutes later

1. Normal stool in the colon on the left side - how would this happen

2. An enlargement of the left ovary - how would I determine this

3. An enlargement of the uterus?? How would I know

I had UTI last week on medics now but due to holding urine I am sure as i am in Africa and only use the toilet when I need to. Why the balls be felt externally and why on one side? how does this dictate an enlargement of the uterus. What are the symptoms of this? $15.00 please may I have more details

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 13 minutes later

Thank you for the followup questions.

1. If you are thin, even normal amounts of stool might be felt on the left within the descending colon. I have been fooled on exam before with what I thought was a mass involving the left ovary which turned out to be stool. It can be more prominent or more of an issue in particular if you are constipated.

2. An enlargement of the ovary is most easily felt on pelvic exam by your GYN. If there is real concern about this, then an ultrasound is a great way to look at the ovaries

3. The answer regarding the uterus is the same as for #2. This is best evaluated with a pelvic exam and possibly an ultrasound

It is my feeling that #2 and #3 are unlikely or you would have other symptoms of pain, heavy cycles, etc.

The value in this interaction is that you are talking directly with a Board-Certified OB/GYN who is giving you an impression based on over 10 years of experience. Given your lack of significant symptoms, this is likely a normal finding. But, if it persists beyond the weekend, you should schedule a formal evaluation.

Follow-up: Feeling some growth on lower abdomen. There is no pain. What could it be? 2 minutes later
This is good would you suggest regular diuretic such lemon and water every other day? No I am not too worried but will see a doctor.

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 minutes later

Just for clarification, diuretics refer to medications or other things used to decrease blood pressure or fluid retention - they are not used for bowel related symptoms.

If this is in fact related to you bowels, or if you are constipated, increased fiber intake, increase in fluids, and possibly a stool softener are all that you might need.

Again, it has been a pleasure to help you. If you have more questions, please ask. If you are satisfied with my answer, please ACCEPT the answer and provide feedback. Good luck!

Follow-up: Feeling some growth on lower abdomen. There is no pain. What could it be? 5 minutes later
What about - Lemon/Ginger in water for cleansing does this help?

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 minutes later
I think that this would be a fine place to start. It is harmless and this combined with time and reobservation in the next day or two will be all that is necessary.

Please don't forget to accept this answer and provide feedback! Good luck!