Feeling of food getting stuck in the roof of mouth, soreness in ears. Why?

ENT Specialist
I feel food getting stuck in the roof of my mouth. I asked the dental hygienist & she said I had rugae that food might be getting stuck in but I didn't have a XXXXXXX palate. But, she wasn't able to tell me what to do about keeping the food from getting stuck. Also, I've had the dull soreness in both ears off and on. I don't know if those 2 could be related. I just want to know what to do about food getting stuck in the roof of my mouth.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 8 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The most probable cause is dryness of the oral cavity due to your current medication. Is your problem with certain foods only?

2. You are taking three medications each for Diabetes and High Blood Pressure. These many medications are bound to have multiple side effects. Is your Diabetes and Blood Pressure under control?

3. In your case the most likely medication causing a dry mouth is Sertraline.

4. Get yourself examined to rule out soft palate movement, tongue and mastication muscle weakness. The nerve supply of the hard palate comes from the Maxillary branch of the Trigeminal nerve (Fifth Cranial Nerve). Do you also have halitosis (bad breath)? Do you use dentures?

5. There is a fall in salivary production with age, more in some people than others.

6. If you have nasal obstruction or snoring (Sleep Apnea Syndrome), you may have noraml salivary production. Here mouth breathing causes the dry mouth (Xerostomia). This may also explain the dull soreness in both ears on and off.

7. You may discuss this with your physician who may investigate further with oral and nasal endoscopy, blood tests for auto immune disorders decreasing salivation, sleep study, sinus x-rays or scans, salivation tests, thyroid function tests, tympanometry (middle ear pressure testing) and so on.

8. Appropriate treatment may be discussed here after the cause is identified.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Feeling of food getting stuck in the roof of mouth, soreness in ears. Why? 6 hours later
Thank you for this information.

1. More with crispy foods. But, I really haven't kept track.
2. Diabetes not under control. High blood pressure is.
4. I don't have halitosis and I don't wear dentures.
8. Should I submit a separate question after my doctor has determined the cause?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 13 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Keeping track of the kinds of offending foodstuffs will help.

2. Uncontrolled diabetes may also be responsible for swallowing difficulties.

3. Halitosis and dental caries usually signify decreased salivary production.

4. You may submit a separate question specifically "For Dr. Sumit Bhatti" after your examination and investigations.

Wishing you good health,