Feeling nausea since a month, no vomiting. Reasons ?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
For the past month I have been feeling nauseas, no vomiting or feelings of such, just a constant nausea uncomfortable feeling which is worse when I wake up in the morning
Posted Tue, 12 Jun 2012 in Chron's Disease
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later

The cause for persistent feeling of nausea may be variable. This may be due to either upper gastrointestinal / hepatic cause / non digestive system causes.

I would like to have some more information which will help me understand your problem better.
1. How are your bowel habits? Do you suffer from constipation, etc.?
2. Specify the colour of stools since you started having this sensation of nausea.
3. Since when are you having this sensation?
4. When was the surgery performed?
5. Can you brief me about the post operative period (eventful or uneventful)?
6. Have you undergone any investigations prior to the development of nausea sensation? If yes, can you upload the reports on this page?
7. Whether you are taking any medications at present? If yes then what are they?
8. Do you have history of headache or visual disturbances?
9. Any associated co morbid medical conditions like diabetes or hypertension or ischemic heart disease?
9. Any history of chest discomfort, breathlessness or palpitation on exertion?

Kindly provide me with the answers which will enable me to help you out.

Awaiting your reply

With regards     
Follow-up: Feeling nausea since a month, no vomiting. Reasons ? 45 minutes later
My bowel habits have not changed, I do suffer from occasional constipation and bowels differ from a yellow brownish to dark brown
Nausea has been on and off before the oesophugus and hernia repair, however this is the first time that it stays constant. It has been approx. a month and a bit now.
The surgery was last year August and the post op recovery was normal. I had follow up gastroscopies and doctor was happy with results.
With regards to visual disturbances I have recently for the past I would say six months had sudden very quick bouts of visual disturbances where things go blurry but then clear. My sight is very good though and I have no other visual problems, I also do not wear any glasses or contact lenses.
I am taking medication for acid reduction and valoid occasionally for the nausea which is temporary.
I do not have hypertension or any knowledge of heart diseases, however I have also been having on and off chest pains and tightness of my jaw.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 45 minutes later

Thank you for providing the information.

Based on the information provided, there can 4 possibilities causing your constant nausea. We might be able to confirm it by the following tests.

1. The cause could be in the "upper gastrointestinal tract". For this you need to get yourself evaluated by undergoing the following tests.
a. Complete Blood count
b. Liver function test
c. Stool examination
d. Ultrasound of the entire abdomen with specific detailed examination of the upper abdomen.
e. Upper Gastrointestinal endoscopy to specifically look for suspicious areas in the esophagus and stomach particularly.

2. If all the aforementioned are normal then a "central cause" needs to be investigated. You would need the following investigations then,
a. Fundoscopy for papilloedema
b. Visual testing with respect to visual field defects.
c. Contrast enhanced CT scan of the brain.

3. In addition to these an electrocardiogram (ECG), chest x-ray and 2D echocardiogram to rule out cardiopulmonary insufficiency (in view of chest pains) are entailed.

4. The last possibility though the chance being very less is hormonal insufficiency. This will require hormonal levels to be studied - that is T 3, T4, TSH, PTH and serum calcium levels.

I understand the constant nausea is troubling. But with this systematic evaluation we would be able to identify the cause and treat it accordingly. Your physician can help streamline the test and guide you through it. He/she can also prescribe you a suitable antiemetic such as domperidone which should make you feel better. I would suggest that you get yourself investigated at the earliest.

I hope my advice serves as a road map for investigation. Let me know if you need any more help.

With regards