Feeling lightheaded, numbness in teeth, cold around nose and upper lip. Cause and cure?

ENT Specialist
I have a cold feeling around my nose and my upper lip area between my lip and my nose feels like it has been numbed like at the dentist except it very uncomfortable. There is a creeping coldness to my lip area that has move up into my whole nose. I can feel the coldness when I breath deeply. My teeth have that numb feeling like the dentist has numbed them, but my nose feels very cold and heavy. I am slightly light headed. There is also tingling at the base of my neck where it joins my back.
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query, as you said that along with cold you are feeling numbness over upper lip and nose this might happen due to-

(a) Thrombosis in cavernous sinus.

(b) Thrombosis in angular vein.

(c) Inflammation of gums of upper jaw.

(d) Nuropathy.

To find out the correct pathological process going on we need following investigations-

(1) M.R.I. of paranasal sinuses and pituitory fossa.

(2) Blood -CBC, ESR, blood sugar -F. & P.P., Serum creatinin, Lipid profile.

(3) Fundus examination of eye.

After this thorough examination and clinical co-relation with inferences of investigations will be helpful in reaching to correct diagnosis which may be accordingly manage.

I hope this will help you.

Follow-up: Feeling lightheaded, numbness in teeth, cold around nose and upper lip. Cause and cure? 1 hour later
The coldlike numbness/tingle has moved to my finger tips, knees and feet; it is not through my entire body only in those specific locations. I had tilapia earlier this evening, do you think it might be an allergic reaction to the fish? My nose now slightly hurts, and I have a slight headache.
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 12 hours later

Welcome again in H.C.M.for clarification of your doubts.

As you are saying that you are having numbness and tingling on your finger tips, knees, and feet. No doubt this can't be co-relater with cavernous sinus thrombosis or angular vein thrombosis.But can be well explain by
(1) Neuropathy.
(2) Allergic disorder.
You are in doubt that this may be alleric reation to fish. For this I would like to say, have you taken this fish earliar also and obseving same symptoms? If your answer is yes that favors your suspition, but on the other hand if previously you have taken this fish without any such symptoms thanallergic reaction is less likely.

Next way to confirm your doubt is by skin test for identification of allergen. This allergic test will also help us to manage further if you are diagnose as having allergy to fish protein.

If you are not found allergic to fish protein than opinion of neurologist will be necessary to rule out neuropathy.