Boil inside nostril, swollen nose, eye, headache. Any advice?

ENT Specialist
boil ( funsi) inside right nostril since last 3 days.Having swollen nose, right eye and headache since morning because of that. Please advice.
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query regarding boil in your right nostril, I have also seen your photograph having puffiness over right eye and swelling on right nostril.

Considering all your symptoms and facts it appears as you are having VESTIBULITIS RIGHT NOSE WITH ? CAVERNOUS SINUS THROMBOSIS.I would like to suggest you that any boil of nostril, upper lip and angle of mouth are never squeesed to remove pus because returning blood from these area are going to heart via angular vein and through cavernous sinus of brain, and squeesing of boils of above area may cause thrombosis of either angular vein or cavernous sinus as well and landing the patient into an emergency.Diabetic patients are more prone to this sitation.

You are now advice for these basic investigations-

(a) Blood- CBC, ESR, blood sugar-( F. & P.P.), serum creatinin.

(b) Culture and sensitivity of discharge from right nostril.

(c) M.R.I. brain to rule out cavernous sinus thrombosis.

Till the reports of investigations are awaited you may take-

(1) Antibiotic- Augmentin (625 mg ) thee times a day.Later this may be changed according to Culture and sensitivity report of nasal discharge.

(2) Anti inflammatory and analgesic- Dilofenac (50 mg) + Paracetamol (500 mg) +
Serratiopeptidase (15 mg) twice a day.

(3) Anti allergic.

I hope this will help you otherwise consultation with ENT specialist will be necessary for proper examination and treatment.

Follow-up: Boil inside nostril, swollen nose, eye, headache. Any advice? 32 minutes later
Hi Dr Srivsatava

I am alone right now and possible nearby chemist and doctors are quite far off. I have taken an azythromycin 500mg tab.( After a consultation with a MBBS Dr., since i was not sure when i will be getting reply from HCM). Was it suitable to take this medicine.

I cannot reach out to a medical store or ENT right now, but i do have some meds in my Medi kit.

Azax( azithromycin)

Atarax 25mg

Allegra 180 mg

Calpol 650 mg

Acivir 400 DT and 800DT

Can i take any of these till i visit ENT in evening or tommorw morning?
There has been some relief after taking azax in irritation,puffiness and pain, but i guess its quite heavy antibiotic since i can feel the laziness and ineffectivness in my body. Pain still exists to quite a limit.
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 2 hours later

Thanks for reconsultation.

I understand your problem now I would like to suggest you

(1) continue antibiotic AZITHROMYCIN.

(2) You may take either tab COMBIFLAM or FLEXON twice a day.

(3) Tab allegra (120 mg) once in a day.

This will solve your emergency need.