Feeling bloated and fluttery feeling in chest. Took nsaid. What could be the disease?

I have had symptoms which I think are stomach ulcer since Xmas - had Omeprozole which worked at first but came back whenever I stopped, now don't really work. I feel bloated easily, burp a lot, have feeling that is akin to hunger whenever I have not just eaten. The worse thing is night time when I get fluttery feeling in my chest and banging heartbeat down a vein/nerve? from my sternum to my left hip - if you press you can feel really strong heartbeat here. I took NSAIDs on and off for over a year for back up so drs etc assumed stomach ulcer - am going for endoscopy tomorrow - have noticed increasing hard lump below sternum which is tender. Any ideas?
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 47 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query. For your symptoms, two possibilities need to be ruled out. These include:

1)     The first possibility is of peptic ulcer disease or hiatal hernia. Diagnosis can be confirmed by upper GI endoscopy. Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods. Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors.

2)     The second possibility is of any aortic aneurysm. Considering your age and symptoms the possibility of aortic aneurysm should be ruled out which is a weakened and bulging area in the aorta, the major blood vessel that feeds blood to the body. These often grow slowly and usually without symptoms, making them difficult to detect.

You need to consult a doctor and get chest x-ray, CT scan, echocardiogram and maybe a magnetic artery angiogram (if the above said tests are not normal).
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.