Fatigue after physical activity, need to sleep long hours. No adequate explanations from doctors

If I do anything physical in the morning, I pay a heavy price in painful fatigue. I can't do anything, or go anywhere. I MUST rest. Sometimes, if it's bad, I MUST sleep, 3 to 5 hours! Sometimes it lasts into the next day or two. If I do the same things later in the afternoon of evening, I'm fine. Sometimes, if I stay up past 10, I can get a second wind that will allow me to be busy till 2 a.m. Of course, the next day, I am toast the whole day. This has been going on for about 3 decades, and I haven't received any adequate explainations or resolutions from my Doctors.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations here.

A few things come to mind when considering what you have described. There are several systems within the body which can contribute to symptoms which you have reported. I would want to make sure that you have had a comprehensive evaluation to look for some of these causes.

One of the first things which comes to mind is a possible dysfunction of the thyroid gland. There are specialized laboratory tests which can be done to assess the function of the thyroid to see if you need some type of thyroid supplementation

The next thing I would consider would be any type of disruption of your normal blood counts. The most typical cause of this would be anemia. If you have a low hemoglobin this can cause very and amounts of fatigue. This sometimes can because by iron deficiency or vitamin deficiency. Again this is something your doctor can check for with a laboratory test.

The next category I would consider would be the function of the adrenal gland. The adrenal gland is a very specialized organ which produces natural steroid hormones. If you have a deficiency of these hormones it can cause a fluctuating degree of fatigue. It is of particular importance in your case in light of the fact that your symptoms seem more prevalent in the morning and our bodies generally need more steroid hormone production in the morning. Your doctor can evaluate for this again with a type of blood test.

There are some other considerations such as vitamin D deficiency which might be entertained as well as you go forward with a federal investigation. If you have not found a physician I would suggest that you start by seeing an XXXXXXX medicine specialist. This type of doctor specializes in general medical concerns and he can also coordinate specialty consultations if needed.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you've my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address those here.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: Fatigue after physical activity, need to sleep long hours. No adequate explanations from doctors 18 hours later
Thank You. This is the most enlightening answer I've ever received on this subject.
Informative to the XXXXXXX We'll see if I can find an internist who is as on the ball as you are.

Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 hours later
XXXXXXX thank you very much for your kind words.

I really hope you're able to connect with a good physician who can really listen to your concerns and help to optimize your overall and a general health.

I wish you all the best.

Dr. Robert