Fall on tummy and chest causing change in shape. Will that affect the lung in future?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My 6 years old daughter fell down from monkey bars in play field, and landed by her right chest and tummy, she felt painful and screamed, (1) we wonder if she should have X XXXXXXX check? There is no much you can see from the skin around that area. But I am sure her right chest shape has changed a bit, the injured side was a bit lower than it was before, especially if you compare this side of chest with the other side.

(2) has the shape of structure of the ribs of the injured sides been changed? how will it affect her lung as she grows. She said that she felt a bit tickling when she breathed, did the ribs press her lung a bit now. Her breathing is normal now, but with a bit of chest pain.
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 40 minutes later

She should have a check xray to rule out any bony injury.
As the child chest wall is malleable so that it seems a little bit change in shape.
Do not worry, with some rest, it will resume it's normal shape. It will not affect her lung as she grows.
I suggest you to get it evaluated by your doctor and have a check xray.

Hope this will help you. Let me know if you have any more concern.

Dr Saurabh XXXXXXX
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: Fall on tummy and chest causing change in shape. Will that affect the lung in future? 30 minutes later
Thank you for the helpful answer. I'm happy withe answer. For the x-ray, bony injury, do you mean to check if there is any injury on her ribs at her chest or other parts of the body which may be of concerns.

Thank you very much,
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
I am happy to know that I could address your concern.

Check X-ray to rule out fracture rib.

Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Wishing her speedy recovery.

Warm regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon