Facial hair appears to be growing very fast. Is this normal?

Infertility Specialist
I am a 62-year old Blackman and my facial hair appears to be growing too fast. What is normal?
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 24 minutes later

Well, if you think your facial hair are growing very fast, means you have got excess male sexual hormones and that too in recent months.

The sources of male sexual hormones in your body are testis, adrenal glands (situated near your kidneys) or excess fat (which converts few other hormones to male sex hormones) or some other area which produces these hormones as an abnormal function.

I think, since you have got history of colon cancer in the past, you need to check whether any abnormality has arisen in the above mentioned organs, mainly the former two.

If you can notice any testicular swelling in recent months or a decrease in testicular sensation when you gently squeeze it, you must consult your surgeon.

Similarly screening your abdomen with ultrasound can show whether you have got any problems with the adrenals. You may also consult your oncologist to get an opinion. But I think in many cases it is a psychological perception by a patient who has suffered from a dreaded disease in the past, that something is abnormal in his body, which may be a possibility in your case.

So please don't worry and please do a few investigations that will clear your doubts.
I think I have clarified your queries. Do write back if you have more queries.

Good luck