Experiencing punching sensation in throat and also having sore throat. What can be done?

ENT Specialist
Yesterday I started to experience the sensation of having been punched in the throat - it is not like reflux, or any other sort of sore throat I have ever had. It aches, and hurts a bit to speak. The sensation comes and goes, but is very disconcerting. I do not have a fever or any other symptoms of note.
Thank you for your thoughts!
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get a videolaryngoscopy done to check for any inflammation in the lower throat. This is also important as it aches and hurts while speaking.

2. Causes of intermittent pain in the throat include muscle spasms, fungal infections, dehydration, allergies, electrolyte disturbance, vitamin B12, D or Calcium deficiency, silent reflux and Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia.

3. Request your physician to prescribe pain killers and medicated gargles. Keep your diet bland. Avoid any exposure to tobacco and alcohol. Keep your self well hydrated.

4. Neuralgia a require different medications besides regular pain killers. You may require imaging of the throat to check the cartilage framework of the larynx (voice box).

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.