Excessive sleep, difficulty in sleeping and waking up. Advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i sleep a lot
i have a hard time going to sleep and a hard time waking up
please help me
Posted Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
It seems that the symptoms you are having are due to a systemic disorder like low thyroid hormone levels, sleep apnoea, depression or multiple sclerosis.
Anemia and chronic fatigue syndrome are the other causes that need to be excluded. A detailed evaluation by a physician along with investigations are needed to find out the cause.
The prescription medications, Provigil (modafinil) and Xyrem (sodium oxybate) oral solution can be used for symptomatic relief temporarily till the actual cause is determined.
You also need to quit smoking for better results.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.