44 year old, feeling tired, sleepy, intermittent headaches, blurred vision, joint pains. No Diabetes. Any suggestions ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello, I am a 44 yrs old Male. I am experiencing Tiredness and sleepiness (even if I have just woken up from a lone sleep) during the day; I also have intermittent headaches, regular blurred vision and pains in my joints especially more in my arms. This has been going on for 2yrs but got worse in the past three months. Staying awake daytime can be difficult regardless of how long I sleep at night. I also have regular period of dreamlike state when I am sleeping and wake up more tired than when I went to bed. Test has shown my sugar level is normal (so no Diabetes). Retaining and recalling information I read about can also be problematic. Been to the Doctors and was told to rest and be less stressed. But that was 18months ago. Can you help with possible solution.
Posted Sun, 3 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 32 minutes later
From your description, it seems that the persistent symptoms you are having are due to a systemic disorder like low thyroid hormone levels, sleep apnoea, depression or multiple sclerosis.
Anemia and chronic fatigue syndrome are the other causes that need to be excluded. A detailed evaluation by a physician along with investigations are needed to find out the cause.
The prescription medications, Provigil (modafinil) and Xyrem (sodium oxybate) oral solution can be used for symptomatic relief temporarily till the actual cause is determined.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: 44 year old, feeling tired, sleepy, intermittent headaches, blurred vision, joint pains. No Diabetes. Any suggestions ? 2 hours later
Thanks for your response. Which of these possible diagnosis will you say is feasible. I am studying at the moment and concentrating to read for 1hr is very difficult without feeling sleepy. It also seem I am always tired regardless of any rest I have. Joint pains in my hands and fingers are also becoming pronounced. I need to know if you can be more specific if possible. Also are there ny over the counter medication I can buy to help. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
It is difficult to pin point the exact cause without the benefit of examining you. You will have to consult a physician for proper diagnosis. The most likely possibilities are thyroid hormone deficiency or chronic fatigue syndrome.
For the joint pains, you can take a mild killer like ibuprofen for symptomatic relief. To improve the concentration, you can take some ginkgo biloba and zinc supplements.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.