Enlarged lymph in abdominal area along with vomiting. Scan showed lump above navel. Worrisome

Jan 2013

My son has been vomiting for the past few days. We took him to the doc and they ordered a ultrasound because we told them he had a hard pea sized lump about one inch above the navel. They said the vomit episodes were from a stomach virus. His small intestines area has a lot of gurgling as when you have a stomach virus. The ultrasound came back as no hernia but some sort of mass. They also noticed enlarged lymphs in abdominal area. We have a ct scan tomorrow. Should I be concerned and expect something serious? No family history of cancer on either side of family. Thanks
Posted Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 44 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.
Let me know the associated symptoms along with vomiting.
Does he has spasmodic abdominal pain/ fever/ constipation/ watery shit?
What were the aggravating factors for vomiting?
Wat was your treating doctor opinion regarding pea sized lump (after clinical examination)?

Lump in body doesn't mean cancer.
Lump could be benign (slow growing and not a cancer) and malignant (rapidly growing and cancer).
Lump arising from an organ must have some sort of associated symptoms along with vomiting.
Although gargling sounds and enlarged lymph nodes could be due to infection in intestine but infections are associated with other symptoms also.
Its very difficult to predict the nature of illness (whether viral or bacterial).
If there is some doubt in ultrasound imaging then you must go for CT scan abdomen for better clarification.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ pediatric physician and should go for thorough check up.
He should also go for endoscopy as he has recurrent vomiting.
Let me know the report of CT scan abdomen also.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Enlarged lymph in abdominal area along with vomiting. Scan showed lump above navel. Worrisome 19 hours later
Ok sir they did the ct scan and now they want to do an MRI on his colon and intestines. They wouldn't tell us anything until the head doctor looked at the scans. They said they will get back to us tomorrow.
What could it be?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 3 hours later
You should go for MRI scan as advised by your treating doctors.
You should XXXXXXX with head doctor with all relevant reports.
There may be possibility of involvement of colon.
Hope for the best.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava