Does thickened endometrium indicate an infection?

I am 28 years old, my height is 151cm, i weigh 52kgs. I get pain pre and postmenopausal sometimes. this does not occur everytime. But last month i had pain for almost 2 weeks. I consulted a general doc coz i had a pain after a meal, so they assumed it could be a gastric issue, so they treated me accordingly. folllowing week i met a physician and he gave me antibiotics post which i was lil better. So i thought of taking a abdominal ultra sound. This what i got in my scan. A report saying endometrium thickened thickness measures with15.6 mm with fluid in the cavity. Am not sure if i am having a gastric r ulcer problemor infection in uterus ? could you explain pls?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 34 minutes later
Hi Maggie,

Gastric ulcers are diagnosed on ultrasound scans. Diagnosis is confirmed on upper GI endoscopy.

Thickness of endometrium depends upon the phase of menstrual cycle. This is inturn under influence of hormones. It would have been better if you had specified when your last menstrual period had been. The day of menstrual cycle carries importance in determining the average endometrial thickness. You also have not specified the amount of fluid present.

You had a pain in abdomen for about 2 weeks. A small possibility of infection can be considered after reviewing the scan findings. I believe that you had a pain on lower abdomen.

I advice you to consult a gynecologist for a pelvic examination. Further tests such as blood counts, urine examination and so on is entailed. Treatment will be recommended after a complete evaluation.

I hope this answers your query, I will be available for follow up.

Follow-up: Does thickened endometrium indicate an infection? 21 hours later
How to get rid of this infection? does antibiotics help? how does pelvic exams going to help this issue? When you mean treatment are you referring to a test or taking antibiotics? also when i consulted a friend of mine who's a doctor she said gastric and endometrial thickness goes hand in hand. she also suspected fluid is present in the uterus cause of a foreign object. could you explain? And when it comes to the fluid in the cavity does this mean there's something wrong? Cause fluid being present is no good. I wanna diagnose the root cause that's why am probing to get to the bottom of it. i would appreciate it if you could look into it.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Good to hear from you again.

First of all it is important to have proper diagnosis.That is why I would request you to visit a gynecologist.Pelvic examination helps to look for presence of local infection, any ulcer or any painful area on examination which can give clue to diagnosis. Yes if there is infection, antibiotics help. A fluid retention can be present as cysts or polyps.

As per the case, the doctor will advise blood counts and urine examination for clinical correlation and they planning the treatment.You may need a course of antibiotic if infection is present.

I am not aware how does a gastric thickness and Endometrium are related.

There is nothing to get alarmed,you need proper evaluation and treatment as per the cause.