Does osteoarthritis cause disability to move?

Question
I HAVE OSTEOARTHIRITIS OF D12-L3,does THAT MEAN DISABILITY?
i HAVE GREAT PAINS IN ALL SITUATIONS AND IN THE NEES AS WELL THE X XXXXXXX SHOWED DEGENERATION IN THESE PARTS OR OSTEOARTHIRITIS,
IF THAT MEANS A DISABILITY TO THE SOCIAL SECURITY?

THANK YOU
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. R.V.Sirisha Rani 2 hours later
Hi Maher,

Osteoarthritis means degenerative disease of cartilages of joints which will restrict motility of the joint affected due to pain.

Factors that might cause it include: Being overweight, Elderly age, Any joint injury.

It doesn't exactly mean Disability but depending on the symptoms and the degree of pain could hinder your daily routine activities. And to some extent it can be overcome by
1. Exercise- you can see a physiotherapist for the particular joint exercises.
2. Weight control or reduction- Depending on the weight if over weight can be reduced.
3. Rest and joint care
4. Medicines- like analgesics would be helpful but after consulting your doctor
5. Complementary and alternative therapies

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health.