Does Gonapeptyl cause fits in children? Child has cerebral palsy

Nov 2013

Does gonapeptyl cause fits in children?
I forgot to say my daughter has cerebral palsy she has developed fits and I wonder is it the gonapeptyl? She is other wise healthy. These fits are when she's going to sleep an in her sleep. She's had two so far 23 days apart from each other both have been four days after the gonapeptyl has been given. Thanks
Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 41 minutes later
Thanks for writing in regarding your daughter.
As far as I know, gonapeptyl does not cause fits in children. Gonapeptyl is usually used to treat precocious puberty in children. It is a fairly safe medicine and most of the side effects are minor and related to hormonal effects. These side effects may include vaginal bleeding, nausea and vomiting.
Cerebral palsy (CP) itself can be a cause of fits. In some cases of CP, brain damage may unfortunately occur due to hypoxia (less oxygen supply) and ischemia (less blood supply) of brain. These findings can be clearly seen on MRI scan of the brain.
I suggest you get your daughter examined by a neurologist, so that the exact of fits can be ascertained. Moreover, medicaitons may be necessary to prevent fits in the future.
I would be pleased to answer if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad