Do uric acid crystals form hard bumps under skin ?

can uric acid crystals form hard bumbs under your skin
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Uric acid crystals form  when the concentration of uric acid increases beyond it’s saturation point.These urate deposits usually form in and around joints, but are also common under the skin, and may form anywhere in the body.
Uric acid crystals occur in two forms. Temporarily they exist as free-floating crystals, but these are soon coated with products of our immune system. This combination of uric acid and protein coating is called a tophus. There is rarely only one tophus, and they are usually referred to as the plural, tophi. Tophi form quite early on in the gout process, but may not become noticeable for several years. Once visible, usually as progressively harder lumps under the skin, we refer to this type of gouty arthritis as tophaceous gout.
As with most fluids, the crystallization process is temperature dependent. At normal body temperature, crystallization usually occurs when the uric acid level reaches 6.8 mg/dL (0.4 mmol/L). It can occur at lower levels in lower temperatures, and this is the main reason why gout is usually first noticed in the extremities.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any other query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Do uric acid crystals form hard bumps under skin ? 19 hours later
will Nexium heal a ulcer and help heal the lining of the intestine
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
NEXIUM works by reducing the amount of acid,the stomach secretes.
It is used for the reatment of duodenal ulcers,reflux esophagitis etc.
Follow-up: Do uric acid crystals form hard bumps under skin ? 20 hours later
how long does it take to heal a duodenal ulcer , the reason im asking i have a ache on the right side of my navel and down a little , havent been able to find out what it is , had ct skans and looking down the throat, bothers me more after i eat or if my stomach gets empty , thank you
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
I would advise you to consult a Gastroenterologist and get an endoscopy done for the exact and proper diagnosis of your complaint.
You must first confirm the presence of ulcer.
 Healing an ulcer can vary from person to person especially depending on the cause of the ulcer. H-pylori is the major culprit and that would take anitbiotics plus an acid reducer to cure. H-pylori can be a tough case to treat at times too. If the ulcer is caused from stress then you would need something to counteract the stress and an acid reducer. Basically an acid reducer would be used for any cause of an ulcer but whether you need an additional medication to go along with the acid reducer depends on the cause of the ulcer. 
Best of luck