Do omega-3 fish oils elevate fasting blood sugars?

do omega-3 fish oils elevate fasting blood sugars?[I take 2,000 mg. daily] Thank you!
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is possibly ineffective Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX There have variable results in studies published on the topic. Most research has not been able to demonstrate any positive effect of omega-3 fish oils on fasting blood sugar levels. In fact there is some concern that taking fish oil may make blood sugar control more difficult. I could not find any research that says that it increases blood sugar levels. In some review articles, the authors have described this effect of increased blood sugar with omega 3 intake. Omega-3 obtained from fish, etc has some health safety concerns. It can cause side effects like belching, bad breath, heartburn, nausea, loose stools, rash, and nosebleeds. It can also reduce immunity. My experience in clinical practice goes against its regular use. Thus my advice would be to discontinue or atleast reduce its dose. Hope it answers your query. Let me know if I can assist you further. Dr Vaishalee