Discovered had undigested food in stomach due to stopping of muscles. Prescribed MiraLax. Suggestions?

About a year ago doctors at a hospital discovered I had undigested food in my stomach and that the muscles in it had stopped working. I was told to eat six small foods a day (along with foods what to eat, and what not to eat) and stay upright for about half an hour so gravity would work in digesting the food. Also to take the recommended dosage of "MiraLAX" each day so I would have regular bowel movements. Some days I have several. Is that too much MiraLAZ?
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Miralax is a laxative.& it is to be taken in the prescribed doses. You are correct in guessing that - Overdose may cause several motions.In case of loose motions you can reduce the dose. With prolonged use Miralax gets ineffective . Naturally the patient increases the dose .It results in several bowel movements.Please contact your doctor for further adjustments of doses.
You must be aware , as age advances there are changes in one's digestive capacity.Your complaint is natural for the age.
Actually ,when treatment starts & Miralx starts bowel movements, patient should try to change his life style & develop for natural bowel movements.-

. Please follow Doctor's advice for diet.
. Drinking lot of water/liquids helps.
. light daily exercises are useful.(walk,yoga for abdominal muscles)

I hope the answer has satisfied you.
In case you have further queries, I will be pleased to help you.

Thank you.
Follow-up: Discovered had undigested food in stomach due to stopping of muscles. Prescribed MiraLax. Suggestions? 15 hours later
Thank to the helpful answer to my question. Another. By having frequent bowel movements, am I loosing some of the nutrition from the food I eat?

Does food I eat give me as much nutrition when I have frequent bowel movements?

Does food I eat give me as much nutrition if it goes through me faster?
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 7 hours later

Thanks for the appreciating the the reply.

Digestion time varies from person to person.
* Food entering digestive tract also causes large intestinal movements. This clears bowel of remnants of previously eaten (digested ) food. So, it may not be the same food taken recently. In such a case, you are getting sufficient nutrition from the food you eat
* If you have made your life style to help constipation & you don't have other signs like lethargy, weakness (considering your age, you are probably in good health & you are getting proper nutrition with the food you are taking.
* But frequent bowel movements, driving food out hurriedly - the digestion & nutrition cannot be there. You have signs of weakness and undigested food in the stool, the eaten food may not provide sufficient nutrition due to its fast passage. In such a case, please make an appointment with your Doctor if you have following signs-
- Changes in consistency,volume or appearance of stools such as narrow
ribbon like stool or loose watery stool
- Abdominal pain,
- Blood or mucus in stool,
- stool with undigested food you had eaten.

I hope, the answer has satisfied you. I will be happy to help you, for other query, if any.