Ask a Urologist   »  

Difficulty in urination. Cystoscopy showing urethritis. Antibiotics prescribed. DRE report showing prostatis. What is the exact problem?

Question
i feel like something is stuck in my urethra and if i urinate only little comes out... i have done cystoscopy.. no stricture.. doc. told me urethristis.. so prescribed me antibiotics... din get much relief so when to see other doc.. doc did DRE and told me prostatis.. prescribed me antibiotics... was cured for one week but the symptoms returned... i did my urine test and other blood test recently and found normal..... ultrasound also normal.. so what exactlt could be my problem??
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in,
It seems that you might have chronic and recurrent urinary tract infection. This would need to be treated with long term antibiotics. For deciding the antibiotic, a urine culture and sensitivity needs to be done. In addition, I would suggest the following:
a. Drink plenty of water. 3-4 litres of water is what we should be looking at
b. Have 1 glass cranberry juice every day.
c. You can take Syrup Citralka 2 tsp 4 times daily for 1-2 weeks.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Follow-up: Difficulty in urination. Cystoscopy showing urethritis. Antibiotics prescribed. DRE report showing prostatis. What is the exact problem? 14 hours later
hello, sir thanks for your advice,well i have done urine culture and sensitive test thrice ever since this problem but found sterile... and as far as infection is concern. i think there is no infection now.. cos my urine test was normal this time... and ya there was more uric acid found.. well i feel am not emptying my bladder at once.. which make me feels like some urine is always stuck in my urethra.. that keeps me going for urination on and on.. and ya the flow is not that good at all.. weak stream.. when i hold the urine for a longer period of time the flow is somewhat ok.. but if i XXXXXXX only little comes out with weak flow.. and i XXXXXXX feel much pressure from my bladder this days... the feeling of urination is just confined in my urethra.. thanks.. waiting for ur advice..

Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for writing back.

Now one thing is clear that your problem might not be due to infection.

Based on the details provided, the possibilities are
- Crystalluria due to high uric acid levels in urine and giving this sensation.
- Cystitis or recurrent prostatitis especially aseptic nature - here urine culture and routine can be normal
- Rarely any kind of prostate growth undetected on previous scan.

At this point of time, the next steps towards managing the problem would be to rule out the above possibilities. If I were to be your treating doctor I would suggest the following:

- repeating ultrasound scan with post void residue
- X-ray KUB
- Computed Tomography (CT) / Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scan

Discuss with your urologist about these. If all the tests are normal, then I do not think we have something to worry. In the meantime change your food habit, the things containing more uric acid like meat, and alcohol, etc. needs to be restricted. Drink plenty of water.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other queries.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health

Follow-up: Difficulty in urination. Cystoscopy showing urethritis. Antibiotics prescribed. DRE report showing prostatis. What is the exact problem? 2 hours later
well i have done ultrasound post void... organs imaged are within normal limit.. no free fluid adenopathy seen but post void residue volume is 22 cc.prostate is normal... 33x31x26 mm weight is 14.5 gm.. even if i XXXXXXX feel urination.. the feeling that something stuck in my urethra is always there now and then.. well ill be seeing urologist on friday.. so hope every thing goes well.. thanks a lot

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

When you XXXXXXX urologist discuss about getting an MRI done. You also discuss about possibility of having some nerve dysfunction.

22 ml post void has not much significance.

If you have no further clarification, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you good health.

Regards.