Difficulty in getting sleep at night. Can I use Temazepam?

Dec 2014

I only manage about 2 hours sleep at night and would like to try temazepam sleeping pills as they do not leave you feeling groggy the next day i had some about 30 years ago and they worked but my doctor doesn't prescribe them he thinks its all in the mind, can I purchase the Temazepam
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 25 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Temazepam is a benzodiazepine drug and it is a scheduled drug. It should be taken only after prescription of a registered doctor only. Although it is free of morning after effects still it has potential to cause dependence. They can be used on SOS basis in insomnia. You cant purchase this drug directly.

You are not getting enough sleep and are sleeping only 2 hours a day. There are many drugs which can be given in insomnia but proper prescription of Psychiatrist is must.

- Benzodiazepines are one group of hypnotic drugs. These drugs include Temazepam, Lorazepam, Alprazolam, Clonazepam, Oxazepam etc. They are very effective when used on sos basis.

- Z-drugs are other drugs which consists of Zolpidem, Zalepleone, Zopiclone etc. These are free of serious side effects and has very less abuse potential. They are good for early onset insomnia and long acting drugs as Zolpidem 12.5 are even effective in late insomnia.

- Other drugs like Ramelteon, Melatonin corrects sleep cycle. These are free of serious side effects and dependence.

Apart from these drugs improving sleep hygiene is other thing that should be improved for proper sleep.

Hope it helps you, if you have more questions then you can ask again.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD