Did CT scan. Having skin itching and back sore. Will the radiation cause any harm to body?

Nov 2013

Hi Doctor,
I had CT scan one week ago. I feel down pretty hard on my forehead three weeks ago, then it got swollen, I used the ice on it and got better then. After then I had the bad headache on the behind the head. Five days later I went to the family doctor office, the doctor checked and gave me the pain relief for the headache.
The headache still didn't go away and went to the doctor again, then he let me had the brain CT scan. I was scare about the CT after read the online information. But I still had the CT scan to make sure I am ok.
Before CT scan, the CT technician let me put the shield on my stomach to prevent the radiation, then I asked one more shield on my upper body. The problem is that I only covered the top of my body, didn't cover the whole upper body.
After CT scan, I felt there is heat on my body. After two days later, I felt pain and hot on my top back and my arms, and I felt chest pain. Now I am worrying about the all radiation went to my upper body and hurting the bones.
Do you think the pain is coming from the radiation? I am thin only 114lbs. since I add two more shields on my body, it increased the weight. My questions are:
is the CT machine sending the X rays based on the people weight?
Do you think the CT machine gave me too much X rays?
I still felt the skin itching and upper back sore.
Is this side effect normal after CT scan? I am worry that the X rays damage my body later?
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
My answer is below.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that a single CT scan would not expose you to any significant dose of radiation, and it would not cause any harm to your body. So, there is no need to worry about that.

Only if some one has repeated CT scans especially over a short period of time, then, it may cause harm.

So, I feel your symptoms may not be related to the CT scan, or even if they are related, it would go away in a few days with symptomatic treatment.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist