Diagnosed with sliding hiatus hernia with Barrett's esophagus and gastritis. How serious are these?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have just been diagnosed with a sliding hiatus hernia with Barrett's esophagus as well as gastritis and duoneitis. could you please tell me how serious this is.
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Barett's esophagus needs attenetion. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in. Sliding hiatus hernia may not always be a XXXXXXX condition.However Barett's esophagus is a worrisome condition as it has a malignant potential. You will have to undergo surveillance endoscopy annually in order to pick an early malignant change. Gastritis and duodenitis can be easily treated by medications. Your doctor can prescribe a course and monitor it regularly. I hope this answers your query. Regards