Diagnosed with ovarian cysts. Noticed a small movable lump. What could it be?

Hi, I do suffer from health related ocd which is triggered by certain things, it really gets me down as I have such a zest for life and really not afraid of anything expect something spoiling my lovely life! That said, I have had a traumatic year, but to cut a long story short, during a routine scan, ovarian cysts were found. Not to worry said the doc and surgeon, so I do exactly the opposite! This has triggered a constant checking...then I find a small movable lump on the lower left side. I got check by my doc, who didn't find what I was feeling. I went away happy, only to check again (oh dear) and find the lump again. I am wondering if I have caused a trauma by my constant probing or whether I should just leave myself alone and get back to enjoying life! Help!
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 9 minutes later
Thanks for your query. On reviewing your history you appear to suffer fron hypochondriasis which is a form of anxiety disorder similar to ocd. It is characterised by a constant preoccupation with physical symptoms. This constant checking and reassurance seeking behaviour you describe are typical of the disorder. I would suggest a thorough psychiatric evaluation at this stage to clarify the diagnosis. The treatment consists of
1. Anti anxiety medication like ssri s
2 . Psychotherapy interventions like cbt or cognitive behavioural therapy
Yoga meditation and breathing relaxation exercises are likely to be beneficial. Wish you early recovery. Do clarify further if required
Follow-up: Diagnosed with ovarian cysts. Noticed a small movable lump. What could it be? 21 minutes later
Thank you, yes I am aware that I have a problem. I have been attempting to cure myself which has worked in the past to some degree.
May I have your opinion on this lump I feel - I have to admit that I do not feel it all the time so I rationalise that it is ok.
I am not a person to take medication but I admit that when I have the tears of frustration, I am close to it! I take solace in exercise. I love yoga but interestingly it makes me want to 'check' when I lay down etc. very annoying for me. Especially as i am an intelligent person, i cannot work it out except that past health scares have triggered this..I would love to overcome this and have my life and freedom back!
Appreciate you listening and advice, thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 16 minutes later
Thanks for your query. If you have been evaluatedand examined adequately byyour physician I would suggest you go withthe findings. The only additional effort can be to get a second opinion from a general surgeon. There is no need for sny other intervention at this stage. If the surgeon too clears possibility of lump I would suggest you XXXXXXX a psychiatrist. Psychotherapy is likely to benefit you significantly.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with ovarian cysts. Noticed a small movable lump. What could it be? 52 minutes later
I don't think my mental state is as bad that imagine things, but I do know what you're saying. My doctor is the one with the expert hands and he found nothing that alarmed him and scans showed ovarian cysts. I am probably feeling one of those at certain times and becoming paranoid about it.
I will consider a phychiatrist, time, money and the fact I live in a remote area is always a factor though. Do you place any value on herbal remedies?
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 35 minutes later
Even if a small insignificant lump is actually present, a psychiatrist can help you out with the unwanted preoccupation with the same. If the current evaluation was satisfactory, you might not need a second opinion.However, I might not be the right person to suggest/ comment on herbal remedies. Wish you god health.
Dr Sundar