Diagnosed with lymphadenopathy. Has swollen gland in neck nd temple. Prescribed Clindanycin. Suggest?

My 49 year old son was just diagnosed with lymphadenopathy. He has a swollen gland in his neck and up by his temple on his face. He was prescribed Clindamycin 150 mg 4 times a day. Is this treatment usually successful? If this doesn't clear up the swelling, what is our next step?
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!

I am really sorry for your son's ill health. Lymphadenopathy has many causes ranging from mild viral infections to even some serious issues. Usually the cause is infectious in origin. Your treating doctor after physical exam might have suspected bacterial infection, so started on clidamycin. I believe it should work. In some cases, cause of lymphadenopathy in the neck region is unexplained. In such patients, the doctors would usually observe for 2 to 3 weeks and if does not, they do evaluate for some other issues.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, please let me know!
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows: