Diagnosed with low pressure hydrocephalus. Have had headache and stiff neck with no head injury. Cause?

My wife has been diagnosed with low pressure hydrocephalus' currently at negative twenty after 70 plus days in ICU, she woke up april 8th with head ache and stiff neck ,any advise on what the next step should be. it seems like the drs are not sure what to do next, every step they take they seem surprised by the results she just turned 49 and had been leading a normal life up to now, no head injury no masses and no restriction of flow. Her doctors are well respected but I can not stop thinking about getting another opinion. what treatment would you recommend? thank you for your time. XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear what your wife is going through. I understand it is a very difficult moment for you.

Low pressure hydrocephalus is not a common pathology. It causes are varied and caused by various brain pathologies like complications resulting from aneurysmal subarachnoid haemorrhage, meningitis, intraventricular haemorrhage, etc.

At after 90days in the ICU without any major improvement I will suggest that she should be considered for treatment with low pressure ventriculo- or lumboperitoneal shunts. This will at least be able to rebuild the intracranial pressure and probably ameliorate her state.

Please, discuss with your doctors and find out if this is procedure they may consider your wife for and if they are able to do it at their hospital.

I hope this helps. I wish your wife the best of outcomes.
Please, feel free to ask me further questions if need be.
Dr. Ditah, MD