Diagnosed with gastritis and unspecified colitis. Is miralax safe for long term use?

I was taking miralax up until a few days ago and decided to give my bowels a rest. It stated on the bottle to do a 2 week resting period. But I noticed I am getting constipated again. I was reading online that some people were taking it non-stop for years and it was recommended by most GI doctors to take long term. Is it safe to take miralax non-stop long term if it is keeping me regular?

I was taking Solgar chelated magnesium for the last few days which was recommended by gynecologist but it hurt my stomach. I was taking magnesium citrate which was working somewhat but my gynecologist felt that the chelated magnesium was more natural. I am totally confused. I dranked prune juice earlier and I am lost on what to do next.
I was recently diagnosed with Gastritis and Unspecified Colitis.
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

It is not wise to continue taking miralax for a long time without any break.
Drink lot of fluids and take high fiber diet. Continue drinking prune juice.

Check for diabetes, hypothyroidism.

If there is no reposnse, you may need to undergo few tests like colonic transit study for finding the exact nature of constipation and treat it accordingly.

I hope that answers your question.

If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini