Diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Does it cause severe headache and eye pain?

My wife is 40 year old. she sufferes from pain in legs hands shoulders head ach stron eye pain. she have seen a doctor that said she has fibromialgia. I want to know 1)if fibro can cause strong head ach and eye pain? 2)how can i be sure it's fibro and not Arthritis?
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 10 hours later
Hi !
Thank you for your query.

Dear sir,

Fibromyalgia is a condition that has vague symptoms that is patient will experience widespread pain in the body at least for 3 months and should have tender points on digital palpation which am sure your doctor must have told you. Headache can be present in fibromyalgia and it may lead to frequent awakenings in night and un-refreshing sleep. The person is fatigued throughout the day and level of irritation over trivial things rises. Regarding eye pain is slightly unusual. Heaviness of eyes is a complaint sometimes. If the eye pain is associated with any kind of redness in eyes, itching, watering burning sensation it needs to be evaluated further by an ophthalmologist.

Fibromyalgia is a clinical diagnosis, it can mimic arthritis but presence of tender points on digital palpation, diffuse muscular pain rather than joint pain, absence of swelling over any joint, absence of erosions in joints on X rays, normal inflammatory markers like CRP, ESR, S.albumin and negative RF(rheumatoid factor), anti CCP like specialized tests help us to differ it from arthritis.

I advise you to be in touch with a rheumatologist and keep your wife in constant follow up and be compliant with your doctor as the symptoms of fibromyalgia are difficult to respond and take time to show improvement.

Hope you are satisfied with the answer.

If you have any further queries feel free to ask.

Wish you good health.
Dr. Shruti