Diagnosed with diabetes type 1, BP, thyroid, cholesterol. Prescribed janumet. Is it going to cause any side effects?

Aug 2012

janumet 50/1000mg tablet is prescribed.My mom is 52years and suffering with diabetes type I since she is 35years old and also has cholesterol, BP, thyroid. as sugar level is very high, now doctor has prescribed janumet 50/1000mg.can she take that tablet, any side effects? please suggest
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 7 hours later

Thank you for the query. First of all, if you are very sure that your mother's diabetes is type 1 diabetes then it is unlikely that any oral medication will help her. Is she also on insulin? If not then it means she was managed so far with oral medications and hers is type 2 diabetes.
The side effects of Janumet are the same enlisted in the tablet's manuscript. Why I do not write them all here is because even a simple medication like Crocin tablet will have multiple side effects enlisted in the manuscript. But very very few percentage of people using it suffer from the known side effects of it. Similarly if I say pancreatitis or gastric irritation (due to 1000 mg dose of metformin) it is not necessary that those side effects will happen to her. Most importantly, this medication has been approved by drug authorities and hence it's safety has been established for general use in public.
I hope you understand. Please get back for further query/ clarification if you are not satisfied with the answer. Take care.