Diagnosed with costochondritis. Woke up with pain in chest. Having fever and pain during breathing? What can be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was diagnosed with costochondritis (CC). I am a female, age 64, that has enjoyed very good health. Last month when I woke up at night with pain in my chest, I was very worried. I used pain medication, but didn't go to the Dr. (no insurance) as I hoped everything would just go away. I laid around for about a week with chills and fever and pain with breathing. And I did get better. But then 10 days later, it was back with all the symptoms. I soon after went to the Dr. and he listened to my heart and lungs (said they sounded good, and I refused the EKG and chest XRay - again no insurance) He found the sore area on my sternum somewhere around the 2nd and 3rd rib. I have looked up CC and see that I have the classical symptoms except the chills and fever. I did not have a temperature when I visited the Dr. (as I was well into ibuprophen) but I continue to get chills and fever regularly at the end of the ibuprophren. The usual temp is 101F, and I am very chilly/shivery. After about an hour into the ibuprophren the chills and fever disappear, but I am perspiring fairly heavily - something I have never done before. This second episode is now into day 10. Do I need to return to the Dr. and get a chest XRay????
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes. A chest X-ray will help.

Detailed Answer:
Costochondritis is an inflammatory disorder and may sometimes be associated with fever and chills. But since the fever is persistent for last 10 days, chest infection or viral bronchitis needs to be ruled out after an examination and a chest X-ray.
It is best to consult your physician again and get the necessary investigations done to find out the cause.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.