Ask a Dentist   »  

Diagnosed with advanced periodontitis gum disease. Suggest some home remedy

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Hi , I went to clean my teeth 3weeks ago the dentist told me I have advanced periodontitis gum disease so could you give me more suggestion for prevent gum disease at home? if I loose tooth, is there any chance to wear denture and still going to risks for my gum in the future even loose tooth after?
Thank you
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 6 hours later

First, advanced periodontitis is a condition in which there is bone loss under the gum tissues resulting in:
-loose teeth
-pocket formation between the tooth and gums due to loss of attachment
-food lodgment in pockets
It’s a vicious circle resulting in further bone loss.

Ideally, a periodontist ie: a gum surgeon must examine you and the treatment may consist of the following:
-deep scaling
-non surgical placement of drugs (antibiotics) in pockets to prevent further infection and bone loss
-flap surgery (in very advanced cases where non surgical intervention does not work)
-splint loose teeth (If present)

At home remedies, usually do not work well.
However, until you visit your dentist you may use a good chlorhexidine mouthwash and warm saline gargles twice daily to flush out the stuck food from the pockets thus preventing further infection.

If you lose teeth, your dentist will give you these options:
-removable dentures
-fixed bridges
-fixed implants

Depending on your present bone condition, your dentist will decide what is best suitable for you.
Any well-fabricated prosthesis to replace missing tooth ideally should not further loosen or damage your remaining teeth. A good denture/bridge may act as a splint to stabilize adjoining teeth as well.

If you have more questions, I’ll be happy to help.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with advanced periodontitis gum disease. Suggest some home remedy 47 minutes later
How to send the picture ? I would like to send the picture of my tooth ? Pls let me know
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 1 hour later

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize it.

Alternatively, you may mail me the pictures at YYYY@YYYY with subject as "Attention to Dr. Shivangi".

Seeing the picture, will only give me a vague idea about your condition, as ideally you need to get your tooth mobility, pocket depth, loss of attachment checked as well before any decision is made.

If possible, please attach your full mouth X-ray (OPG) also, as that can help me judge your bone condition.